1055 West Seventh Street, 28th Floor
Los Angeles, CA 90017
47 Kearny Street, Suite 700
San Francisco, CA 94108
Phone: (213) 955-9500 (Ext. 160)
Fax: (213) 955-9511
Bar & Court Admissions
- California State Bar
- U.S. District Court: Central District
- U.S. Court of Appeal: Ninth Circuit
Articles & Presentations
- “Right of Way Case Law Updates,” presented at Law Seminars International, November 2001.
Sandy Sakamoto is a Partner in the Los Angeles office with an emphasis on real estate and business transactions. Her experience includes real estate development, build-to-suit office facilities, acquisitions, dispositions, leases, and licenses of properties. Ms. Sakamoto also represents energy utilities in acquisition of renewable power. As a relationship partner, she supervises various business and employment litigation matters for major clients.
In addition, Ms. Sakamoto has experience on a wide variety of commercial and tort litigation, cell site licensing, telecommunications operations, and issues involving easements and public rights-of-way. Ms. Sakamoto worked very closely with clients in the formulation of successful business and legal strategies to overcome regulatory obstacles to place new fiber-based technologies in public rights-of-way and to challenge municipalities seeking to regulate exempted utility operations. She also has advised on environmental compliance and public utility affiliate transactions.
Prior to joining Lim Ruger, Ms. Sakamoto served as General Attorney and Assistant General Counsel for a global Fortune 50 telecommunications company in charge of its Los Angeles regional law department. Ms. Sakamoto has been a presenter on “Right of Way Case Law Updates” at the Law Seminars International presentation of Local Telecommunications Infrastructure and testified before the Federal Communications Commission on use of public rights-of-ways.
- Represented the U.S. financing arm of a global automaker in regards to real estate and construction loans aggregating more than $90 million for acquisition and development of dealerships.
- Represented a major university in the negotiation and drafting of a lease renewal for 140,000 square foot commercial building for research and development purposes.
- Represented a major bank in the pursuit of $24 million in claims against a major downtown developer and affiliated entities.
- Represented a developer in the assumption of a $78 million loan in connection with the purchase of a regional shopping center.
- Represented a major energy utility in a real estate transaction to acquire mitigation properties in connection with a major transmission line project.
- Advised major energy utility on risk mitigation in the structuring of a complex financial transaction involving a developer of biofuel for energy generation.
- Represented a corporate property owner in the negotiation of a ground lease for the development of a parking structure by a major arts institution with an option to purchase the parking structure in the event the owner’s adjacent historic, high-rise office building is sold.
- Represented a global telecommunications company in the negotiation and drafting of real estate, development and financing documents as a part of a naming rights transaction with a major league baseball team for the development of a new baseball stadium.
- Represented a major corporation in the purchase and development of a 100,000 square foot, build-to-suit, commercial office building. The transaction also included the negotiation of a joint venture agreement with a major Southern California developer for development of the surrounding 16-acre commercial complex through an acquisition from the Community Redevelopment Agency for the City of Anaheim.
- Acquisitions and Dispositions
- Utility Right-of-Way
Business and Finance
- Renewable Energy Purchasing
- Utility Law
- Business Disputes and Torts
- Real Estate
- Loyola Law School (J.D., 1983)
- California State University Dominguez Hills (M.S.A., 1978)
- University of Utah (B.A., magna cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa, Pi Mu Epsilon, 1974)
Honors & Distinctions
- Local Hero Award, presented by KCET and Union Bank
Professional & Community Involvement
- Japanese American Cultural & Community Center, Chair of Board of Directors
- Asian Pacific American Legal Center, Co-Chair of Executive Advisory Council and past Chair of Board of Directors
- Pacific Asian Consortium in Employment, Vice Chair of Board of Directors
- Asian American Justice Center, Board of Directors
- Japanese American Leadership Delegate and Business Networking Steering Committee of the US-Japan Council
- Japan America Society, Board of Governors
- Japanese American Bar Association, Member
- Angeles Girl Scout Council, past Board Member
- Asian Pacific Women’s Center, past Advisory Board Member
- Asian Pacific Women’s Network, past Board Member