1055 West Seventh Street, 28th Floor
Los Angeles, CA 90017
47 Kearny Street, Suite 700
San Francisco, CA 94108
Phone: (213) 955-9500 (Ext. 119)
Fax: (213) 955-9511
Bar & Court Admissions
- California State Bar
- U.S. District Court: Central District of California
Articles & Presentations
Richard Ruger is a Partner in the Los Angeles office with an emphasis in mergers and acquisitions, corporate finance and governance, real estate acquisition and disposition, and other commercial transactions. Mr. Ruger has extensive experience in cross-border and domestic business transactions, representing business entities ranging from emerging companies to multinational companies, private as well as publicly held corporations, and domestic as well as foreign entities. His clients include high-tech companies, developers, investors in securities and real estate, manufacturers, wholesalers, exporters, importers, distributors, licensors, licensees and franchisors. Mr. Ruger acts as outside general counsel for many of his clients. Mr. Ruger also has substantial experience with respect to the assessment, strategy and supervision of litigation or arbitration matters and has participated in numerous mediations that have resulted in favorable outcome for his clients.
As counsel to acquiring or target companies in mergers and acquisition transactions, Mr. Ruger has acted as lead counsel handling virtually all facets of the M&A process, including structuring of the transaction, overseeing the due diligence, negotiating and preparing complex acquisition agreements and ancillary documents, and handing post-closing issues. Mr. Ruger also has substantial experience in acquisitions and dispositions of industrial, commercial and other real properties, including due diligence, negotiation and documentation. Mr. Ruger also advises his clients on leasing and other real property matters.
In the corporate finance arena, Mr. Ruger has substantial experience in representing issuers in private offerings, including the preparation of private placement memoranda, subscription agreements, investor rights agreements and related corporate documents. Mr. Ruger also has substantial experience in representing investors in initial and subsequent series of equity investments in high-tech and other target companies. In the corporate governance arena, Mr. Ruger counsels his clients in developing corporate policies and guiding officers, directors and shareholders regarding governance issues.
Mr. Ruger regularly advises his clients on commercial and business transactions, including, among others, joint ventures, strategic alliances, formation of entities, distributor and representative agreements, license agreements, intellectual property protection planning, employment and consulting agreements, equity incentive plans and executive compensation.
- Represented a multi-national automotive parts manufacturer and supplier in the concurrent and strategic acquisition of three companies.
- Represented a publicly traded foreign corporation in connection with its acquisition of a processed food manufacturing company in the United States.
- Represented a publicly traded foreign corporation in a three-party joint venture in the United States with two of the largest steel manufacturers in the world to build a steel pipe manufacturing facility in the United States.
- Represented the majority shareholder in buying out minority shareholders and concurrently selling substantially all of the assets of the company to an institutional investor.
- Represented a video game developer and publisher in connection with the acquisition of a gaming company and strategic investments in gaming companies.
- Represented a U.S. affiliate of a leading automobile manufacturer in connection with the affiliate’s commercial transactions and master services agreements.
- Represented a foreign investor in connection with the acquisition of a major shopping center in Southern California and financing for the acquisition.
Business and Finance
- Business Transactions
- Commercial Transactions
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Financing (Equity, Debt, Asset Based, and Venture Capital)
- Corporate Formation and Restructuring
- Corporate Governance
- Distributorship and Agency
- Equity-Based Compensation
- Secured Transactions
- Acquisitions and Dispositions
- University of Pennsylvania Law School (J.D., with honors, 1980)
- Loyola Marymount University (B.S. and B.A., with honors, 1976)
Honors & Distinctions
- Southern California Super Lawyer (2007 – 2010)
Professional & Community Involvement
- International Association of Korean Lawyers, Member
- Korean American Bar Association of Southern California, Member
- Sejong Society, Chairperson