1055 West Seventh Street, 28th Floor
Los Angeles, CA 90017
47 Kearny Street, Suite 700
San Francisco, CA 94108
Phone: (213) 955-9500 (Ext. 155)
Fax: (213) 955-9511
Bar & Court Admissions
- California State Bar
- U.S. District Courts: Central, Eastern, and Southern Districts of California
- U.S. Court of Appeal: Ninth Circuit
Articles & Presentations
- ”Workforce Restructuring in Today’s Global Economy,” presented to the International Association of Korean Lawyers, 2012
Phillip K. Cha is a Senior Counsel in the Los Angeles office, where he specializes in representing management in labor and employment matters, including litigation, administrative proceedings, and human resources counseling.
In the litigation arena, Mr. Cha has extensive experience handling single-plaintiff and complex class actions involving discrimination, harassment, wage and hour and wrongful termination claims. He has appeared in the state and federal courts of California and before arbitration panels. Mr. Cha also has in-depth experience dealing with investigations and actions by state and federal government agencies, including the California Labor Commissioner, California Department of Fair Employment and Housing, U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and U.S. Department of Labor.
In addition to Mr. Cha’s litigation practice, he regularly provides human resources counseling regarding the entire spectrum of personnel-related issues, including employee discipline, terminations, leaves of absence, wage-and-hour compliance and reductions in force. His expertise also includes providing harassment training and drafting employee handbooks. When it comes to this aspect of his practice, Mr. Cha prides himself on being able to effectively balance business and legal considerations.
Prior to joining Lim Ruger, Mr. Cha practiced in the labor and employment law department of a national law firm, where he represented numerous Fortune 500 corporations.
- Obtained summary adjudication in favor of a national retailer defending against claims of pregnancy discrimination and failure to provide accommodations, after which the remaining claims were settled on favorable terms.
- Represented global pharmaceutical company in numerous arbitration proceedings involving alleged denial of severance benefits resulting in several arbitration awards in favor of the employer.
- Represented North American subsidiary of international mining conglomerate in multiple class action lawsuits involving alleged wage-and-hour violations, including denial of meal and rest periods and unpaid wages. Prepared detailed potential liability analysis and calculations for client, which led to court-approved, class-wide settlements in each matter.
- Represented operating division of an elite private university in obtaining a temporary restraining order and permanent injunction against former employee for workplace violence.
- Represented international humanitarian organization in defending against employee’s age and race discrimination charges filed with the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission. After a formal investigation, the case was dismissed based on lack of probable cause to pursue charges.
- Represented transportation industry clients in audits by the U.S. Department of Labor relating to alleged violations of the Fair Labor Standards Act and Family Medical Leave Act.
- Performed audit of regional grocery chain’s I-9 employment verification compliance and advised client regarding best practices.
Labor and Employment
- Class Actions
- Human Resources Counseling and Management Training
- Litigation (Discrimination, Sexual Harassment, Wage and Hour, and Wrongful Termination)
- Reductions in Force
- Workplace Safety and Health
- University of California, Los Angeles, School of Law (J.D., 2000)
- University of California, Los Angeles (B.A., cum laude, 1997)