1055 West Seventh Street, 28th Floor
Los Angeles, CA 90017
47 Kearny Street, Suite 700
San Francisco, CA 94108
Phone: (213) 955-9500 (Ext. 121)
Fax: (213) 955-9511
Bar & Court Admissions
- California State Bar
- U.S. District Court: Central, Eastern, Northern and Southern Districts of California
- U.S. Court of Appeal, Ninth Circuit
Articles & Presentations
- M. Hansen and R. Milligan, “Lessons Learned From Patton Boggs Defamation Case,” Law 360 (Portfolio Media, November 26, 2013.
- M. Hansen, “Hey, I Thought We Had An Agreement: California Appellate Court Allows Party to Seek Attorney’s Fees in Trade Secret Case,” Trading Secrets (June 6, 2013).
- M. Hansen, “U.S. Counsels Cross-Border Consistency in Criminal Consequences for Trade Secret Theft,” Trading Secrets (October 3, 2013).
- R. Milligan and M. Hansen, “California Decision Expands Companies’ Ability to Bring UCL Claims Against Competitors,” Client Alert (April 12, 2013).
- R. Milligan, M. Hansen and J. Salinas, “New California Decision Will Make it More Difficult to Enforce Integrated Written Contracts,” Management Alert (January 28, 2013).
- R. Scoular and M. Hansen, “Joint Defense/Common Interest Doctrine in California,” Association of Business Trial Lawyers Report, Vol. XXVII No. 2 (Spring 2005).
- R. Milligan, M. Hansen and J. Salinas, California Business Litigation Newsletter (October 2013).
- R. Milligan, M. Hansen and J. Salinas, California Business Litigation Newsletter (July 2013).
- R. Milligan, M. Hansen and J. Salinas, California Business Litigation Newsletter (April 2013).
Mark Hansen is senior counsel to the firm in its Los Angeles office. Mr. Hansen is a trial attorney whose practice focuses on complex business matters. These include alleged breaches of large commercial and government contracts and related business torts. Such contracts have included agreements for the purchase of commercial aircraft and telecommunications satellites, technology transfer agreements and supplier contracts. Mr. Hansen also specializes in providing pre-litigation counselling to clients to assist them in minimizing the risk of litigation.
In addition to complex commercial litigation, Mr. Hansen has extensive experience litigating trade secret misappropriation and unfair competition cases, as well as product liability disputes ranging from relatively small design/manufacturing defect cases to litigation arising out of mass tort disasters. Mr. Hansen also excels in providing guidance and counseling on legal ethics and professional responsibility.
Mr. Hansen is an effective writer and oral advocate. He emphasizes a straight-forward approach to litigation, which helps to keep the development and implementation of case strategy efficient and cost-effective. A key element of his approach involves frequent and prompt communication with his clients.
Mr. Hansen has conducted or supervised cases in state and federal courts throughout the United States. Additionally, he is well-versed in alternative dispute resolution techniques, such as arbitration and mediation.
Mr. Hansen is a member of the Los Angeles County Bar Association’s Professional Responsibility and Ethics Committee, and has given numerous presentations on legal ethics and professional responsibility issues. He has also given seminars on civil procedure rules and strategy applicable to pre-trial and trial proceedings.
- Obtained temporary restraining order and preliminary injunction for leading food service company, enjoining competitor from trade secret misappropriation and unfair competition.
- Defeated non-California medical device manufacturer’s attempt to enforce non-competition and non-solicitation provisions in employment contracts against former California employees hired by client.
- Successfully represented client in eight-day trial involving challenge to trust agreement.
- Defended Fortune 100 manufacturer in dispute with foreign subcontractor in simultaneous actions in the U.S. and the Republic of Korea, resulting in favorable settlement for client.
- Defended satellite manufacturer in multi-billion dollar dispute with purchaser.
- Represented aircraft manufacturer in mass tort action arising out of major aircraft accident.
- Represented international tire manufacturer in dispute with distributor in Mexico, resulting in favorable settlement for client.
- Obtained writ quashing service of complaint upon non-resident alien compelled by trial court to appear for corporate deposition in U.S.
- Business Disputes and Torts
- Intellectual Property
- Real Estate
- Unfair Competition and Business Practices
- University of California, Hastings College of the Law (J.D., 1984)
- Santa Clara University (B.S., cum laude, Alpha Sigma Nu, 1981)
Honors & Distinctions
- Recipient Pro Bono Asylum Team Award, 2005
Professional & Community Involvement
- Los Angeles County Bar Association, Professional Responsibility and Ethics Committee Member
- California State Bar Association, Litigation Section
- American Bar Association, Litigation Section
- American Cancer Society, Member California Spirit Attorneys Committee
- West High Entertainment Unit Parent Association, Executive Vice President