Lim Ruger has in-depth experience representing management in labor and employment matters in both the state and federal courts, as well as in investigations and actions by government agencies such as the California Labor Commissioner, California Department of Fair Employment and Housing, U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and U.S. Department of Labor. Our attorneys also have experience defending wage-and-hour class actions, including discovery, class-certification and settlement approval phases.
We provide human resources counseling and management training on a broad range of employment-related issues, including terminations and discipline, leaves of absence, wage-and-hour compliance and reductions in force. We also have expertise in drafting employee handbooks and providing sexual harassment training. While our primary goal is to help employers avoid costly litigation through proactive counseling, our team is ready and capable of litigating employment disputes through trial.
- Class Actions
- Employment and Independent Contractor Agreements
- Human Resources Counseling and Management Training
- Investigations and Actions by Government Agencies
- Labor Management Relations
- Reductions in Force
- Workplace Safety and Health
- Litigation (Discrimination, Sexual Harassment, Wage and Hour, and Wrongful Termination)
- Represented large utility company in five labor arbitrations arising from termination of employees due to various violations of employer’s written safety policies and procedures, as well as violations of employer’s anti-discrimination policies and code of ethical conduct.
- Represented large non-profit public interest organization in defending against multiple charges for race discrimination and retaliation filed with the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission.
- Obtained a writ of mandamus – a rare discretionary appeal – before the California Court of Appeals in a race and gender employment discrimination claim on behalf of Kaiser Permanente.
- Represented global pharmaceutical company in numerous arbitration proceedings involving alleged denial of severance benefits resulting in several arbitration awards in favor of the employer.
- Represented North American subsidiary of international mining conglomerate in multiple class-action lawsuits involving alleged wage-and-hour violations, including denial of meal and rest periods and unpaid wages. Prepared detailed potential liability analysis and calculations for client, which led to court-approved, class-wide settlements.
- Represented operating division of an elite private university in obtaining a temporary restraining order and permanent injunction against former employee for workplace violence.
- Represented transportation industry clients in audits by the U.S. Department of Labor relating to alleged violations of the Fair Labor Standards Act and Family Medical Leave Act.